Last weekend it finally started to feel like winter here in Ontario. When I got up Sunday morning I had planned to go get some groceries but it was raining and I thought I’ll just wait for a break in the rain and head out.
The break never came it turned right into snow and at the point I realized I wasn’t going anywhere. So I did what any lazy house bound light on groceries lady would do… I looked in the freezer and the cupboards and I made a soup.
- 1 Tbsp Melt (ghee and coconut oil spread)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tsp southwest chipotle Mrs Dash
- 1/4 Tsp turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp smoked paprika
- 3 shakes old bay
- Cracked pepper & garlic scape sea salt to taste
- 1 box chicken broth (946 ml)
- 2 cups baby potatoes quartered
- 1 lb bulk sausage
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (796 ml)
- 1 Tsp miso paste
- 1 can black beans
- 1 bag frozen chopped okra (300 g)
- Place Melt (oil of your choice) in a stock pot, once melted add onions and sauté till translucent
- Add minced garlic and spices, sauté 2 more minutes
- Add broth, crushed tomatoes and potatoes bring to boil turn down and let simmer for 1/2 hour
- While broth is simmering sauté bulk sausage on another pan, blot off grease when finished and add to stock pot
- At the half hour mark add black beans, miso paste and frozen okra cook for another 1/2 hour.
In the end between all the steps the soup was on the stove simmering for 1 1/2 hours and it turned out delicious.